Filed under: Business, Civil Liberties, Internet, Politics, Surveillance Society
- Will students be able to opt out of this service?
- Will students data held by the university be given to Google as part of the deal?
- If so, how much of it?
- Will students get targeted advertising while at university?
- What is the value to Google in advertising revenue of this captive audience?
- What is the cost for the university of running its own email system?
- What are the implications of having the university part funded by advertising?
- Will staff email also run on Google’s systems?
- How would we feel about schools and other public sector organisations making arrangements like this with Google?
For background on my concerns about companies holding enormous amounts of data on everyone, see my previous entry on social sorting and the surveillance society.
See also this article in Trinity’s student newspaper.